Chief Judge Wolford entered General Order No. 153 regarding the Due Process Protections Act and its...
You are here
News & Announcements: January, 2022
Jury Duty Scam
Citizens in the Western District of New York may receive various forms of false communication (scams) by phone or email. A recent scam involves jury forms with official-looking bar codes sent by email that ask for personal information such as date of birth, mother's maiden name, etc. For more information about jury scams, click here.
If you have received a phone call or email asking you to provide personal information and/or send payment to avoid arrest or other penalty, it is a scam.
The Court will NOT do any of the following:
1. The Court will NOT send or accept jury forms by email. The Court's official forms do not require personal information such as your mother's maiden name.
2. Serve a warrant by e-mail or fax. Valid warrants will always be served in person by a U.S. Marshal or other law enforcement officer.
3. Call, e-mail, or send a fax to tell you a warrant has been issued.
4. Demand the payment of money in lieu of being arrested.
5. Demand verification of personal information via email or phone call, such as bank account information.
Scammers, claiming to be a officer or attorney of the U.S. government, have been contacting citizens and demanding payment of money or verification of personal information in order for the subject of the scam to avoid arrest. Scammers have also been sending official-looking jury forms via email to citizens that ask for personal information (phishing). Calls and emails such as these are scams. Such emails may contain Trojan horses or viruses.
What Can You Do?
If you believe that you have been the victim of fraud or have received a scam phone call, phishing e-mail, or fax, contact your local police or sheriff department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the United States Marshals Service.
If you have any concerns about a communication that purports to be from the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York , contact us at 716-551-1721
Check this page, or the News and Announcements box on the homepage, for the latest official news and announcements released by the court. You can also access archived news and announcements from this page.