Register for a PACER Account
Upgrade a PACER account (PDF)
Link a PACER account to CM/ECF account (pdf)
Login to NextGen ECF for e-filers (pdf)
NOTICE RE: NEXT GENERATION (NEXTGEN) OF CM/ECF
The United States District Court for the Western District of New York upgraded its CM/ECF software to the Next Generation (NextGen) of CM/ECF on December 20, 2021. NextGen is the culmination of a multiyear project headed by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts to provide for the current and future filing and case management needs of all CM/ECF users.
What is New for Attorneys in NextGen
Central Sign-On is a new functionality that will allow attorneys to maintain one account across all NextGen courts (appellate, bankruptcy, and district). What this means is that attorneys will be able to use one login and password to access all NextGen courts where they have permission to file, as well as to access PACER for all courts.
What an Attorney Must Do to Use CM/ECF NextGen
- Each attorney MUST have his/her own individual PACER account. If an attorney does not have an individual PACER account, the attorney must create one before the Court upgrades to NextGen. To register for an individual PACER account, attorneys should go to www.pacer.gov and click on “register.” Shared PACER accounts may not be used by filing attorneys once the court has upgraded. However, firms may set up a PACER Administrative Account to help manage attorney accounts and have those individual accounts centrally billed for PACER access fees. To register for a PACER Administrative Account, please visit https://www.pacer.uscourts.gov/register-account/group-billing.
- Existing “Legacy” PACER accounts (accounts issued prior to August 11, 2014) must be upgraded. Go to www.pacer.gov, Manage My Account, and login with the attorney’s current PACER credentials. Note the display in the Account Type. If “Legacy” is listed, select Upgrade and update the information.
- CJA Attorney PACER accounts. Please note that you will only need one PACER account for filing and viewing in NextGen. CJA attorneys who perform exempt work can request CJA privileges be activated on their PACER account by emailing email@example.com. In the email include your PACER account number and note that you have been appointed in the Western District of New York.
- Attorneys admitted prior to 12/15/2021 must know his/her current CM/ECF login/password for filing documents. If the login information is stored in the browser, it will be lost and not recoverable once we convert to NextGen. If you do not know your password, please use the password reset feature available on our website: https://www.nywd.uscourts.gov/cmecf-information-0.
If you do not know your current CM/ECF login name, please fax a request to 716-551-1705 or call the Clerk's Office at the numbers below.
- Attorneys admitted prior to 12/15/2021 must link their PACER and CM/ECF accounts. Attorneys will NOT be able to e-file in NextGen until their ECF account is linked to their upgraded individual PACER account.
- Attorneys admitted after 12/15/2021 must register to e-file via PACER. Go to www.pacer.gov, Manage My Account, Maintenance, Attorney Admissions/E-File Registration.
For More Information on the improvements and the upgrade process, please visit: https://www.pacer.gov/nextgen (link is external). Feel free to contact the Clerk’s Office directly with any questions or visit our website at https://www.nywd.uscourts.gov.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation as the court prepares to upgrade to NextGen ECF.
Mary C. Loewenguth, Clerk of Court
December 20, 2021
Buffalo Clerk's Office: 716-551-1700; Rochester Clerk's Office: 585-610-4000